Monday, March 8, 2010

Romeo and Juliet Act V: question 3

3. What did you like or dislike about the Franco Zeffirelli movie that we viewed in class?  Due Tuesday 3/9/2010 by midnight.

2 comments:

12prattr said...

I really enjoyed the version of "Romeo and Juliet" that we watched in class as we read the play. The girl who played Juliet was well chosen. She looked to be 13 or 14 years old, which is how old Juliet is in the play. Romeo also was depicted very well. In the play he seemed to be a little "fluffy". By fluffy I mean very easy-going and generally a nice, funny guy. The boy how played Romeo portrayed those traits very well. The nurse was another character that was well cast. She was funny and very good at presenting the lines containing sex jokes without making the lines seem extremely vulgar, but at the same time without making the lines seem too timid. The Franco Zeffirelli version of "Romeo and Juliet" was extremely well cast. The only thing that I did not really enjoy about this movie was the ending. In the end of the play, Shakespeare wrote a lot of filler material. In the movie, most of that filler was gone. i enjoyed the filler in the play because at points it was humorous, but it also helped me to understand the dizzying end of the play. But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the Franco Zeffirelli version of "Romeo and Juliet."

Sam said...

Franco Zeffirelli's movie was a good depiction of the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. The actors were well chosen, and all of them were rather attractive. This quality started off the movie well, along with the humorous jokes from the nurse and amorous feeling between the two stars. I liked that the emotions that Zeffirelli saw in each line of the play were very well seen through the acting, almost as if the play were on stage. The whole movie was very dramatic, like Juliet's crying, so that made is a little cheesy. The most dramatic was the ending, which I did not like in the play or the movie. But all in all, I did like the movie. It was probably very accurate to how William Shakespeare would have wanted it to be.