This blog is for Ms. Shores' tenth grade Communications students.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Romeo and Juliet Act III: question 4
4. After the harsh treatment Juliet recieves from her parents, is their relationship ruined, or is it normal for teenagers to fight like this with their parents? Due Wednesday 3/3/2010 by midnight.
22 comments:
Anonymous
said...
It is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents every so often but Juliet and her parents don’t have a normal parent-child relationship. The Capulet’s don’t treat Juliet as their daughter. Lady Capulet can’t even talk to her daughter without the nurse’s help. Their conversations are more of meetings then family discussions. The way Juliet’s parents treat her after hearing her resentment to marrying Paris is cruel. No parent that loves their child would react the way they did. Juliet’s parents are civil unless they are disobeyed. Their relationship is not unconditional love, its love with conditions. If the Capulets truly cared for Juliet they would want her to be happy, and marrying Paris is torture to Juliet. If parents disagree with their children’s decisions, they talk to them and express their thoughts. They might not approve of your actions, but true parents they love you no matter what. They don’t disown you.
Well, back then teens needed to show a lot more respect towards their parents. This meant no talking back, no fighting with their parents, and speaks only when spoken to. If they didn't follow such rules, they got in trouble for it. Juliet's fight with her parents shows that they took offense to her stubbornness for refusing to marry Paris. They think she is an ungrateful child because she objected instead of agreeing to the decision that they had made like a good girl would. She really didn't have a say in who she could marry. Yes, I think their relationship is ruined. Then again, Lord and Lady Capulet didn't really have a strong bond with their daughter to start with. The only good bond that Juliet has is with the nurse. The Capulets just tell Juliet that they're done with her. Parents with strong, tight bonds with their kids, have a harder time letting them go, or getting rid of them. Lord and Lady Capulet are frustrated with Juliet. Therefore they punish her by saying they are done taking care of her and will throw her out on the streets if she doesn't marry Paris.
Teenagers and parents often don’t see things the same way. Teenagers are still very young and childish. Although we try to act mature, we don’t always think about consequences and how our decisions will affect our futures. It is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents.
On the other hand, Juliet and her parents are not as close as most families today. Juliet’s parents didn’t help raise her and probably don’t know what she wants or needs. When Juliet tries to tell them that she doesn’t want to marry Paris, they don’t listen. Her father is very harsh with her and says, “Hang thee, young baggage, disobedient wretch! I tell thee what: get thee to church o’ Thursday, or never after look me in the face. Speak not; reply not; do not answer me. My fingers itch. Wife, we scarce thought us blessed that God had lent us but this only child, but now I see this one is one too much, and that we have a curse in having her.” I think this is very harsh because he is telling Juliet that if she doesn’t marry Paris in three days, then he will shun her. He also says that they had one daughter to much and that she was a mistake. I don’t think that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is absolutely ruined but it is scarred. Her father shared some harsh words that cannot be taken back and that are very hard to forgive. I also think it’s hard for Juliet to understand how her parents could put Paris’s money and status before Juliet’s happiness. I think that if Juliet’s parents really cared about her well being and happiness, they would accept her decisions and would not shun her because of them.
It is normal for a teenager like her to fight with her parents. Their relationship with Juliet is so formal that this seems like the only normal thing about their relationship in the play. Their relationship, I think, i s already ruined because Juliet went behind their backs and got married to Romeo. Lady Capulet needs to confirm with the nurse about Juliet's age. The only time that the Capulets seemed to care about her was when Paris asked to marry Juliet the first time. Her father wanted to be happy, but now he is just making the decision for her. Even though he thinks it would take her mind off Tybalt's death, he doesn't know if Juliet even likes Paris. I think he should have at least asked Juliet before he said yes to Paris. I think that Lord Capulet was a little harsh on Juliet when he told her she was going to marry Paris. I think that he should not have threatened her because if you love your child enough then you would not throw them out onto the streets. I think that if Juliet would have said no to her father that he would have defiantly thrown her out and disown her. I don't think that any parent could do that to their child if they loved them. They might do it for just one night but not just disown them. I feel that fighting with your parents is what every teenager does now, I know I do. I also feel that the Capulets don’t have a good relationship with Juliet because if they did then they would have known about her marrying Romeo.
It is not the least bit unusual for a teenager, or any child for that matter, to become involved in heated arguments with his or her parents over minute occurrences. These disagreements are, for the most part, brief and dismissive with little or no obvious impact on either party, save for the occasional grounding of the adolescent. Rebellion is a customary mindset for a typical young person, though his or her motives habitually remain indefinite. However, in Juliet’s circumstance her parents have become corrupt, and in reality she is the adult while they are merely imposters of such beings. It is not a simple matter in which they transgress upon, as marriage is assuredly not a trivial substance. Juliet’s father is particularly vulgar and crude in his words, causing permanent damage to his daughters self esteem. His inability to control his anger is disgustingly childish, and is most likely the reason his wife and daughter have little respect for him as a person. While both mother and daughter fear Lord Capulet because of his authority, It is questionable as to whether either one genuinely loves him as a person. Either way, after Lord Capulet’s latest spell, Juliet can never go back to looking at Lord Capulet as her dad. He really isn’t either; only in the vaguest sense. Lord Capulet is nothing more than Juliet’s biological father.
Every father can make a huge difference in his daughter's life. When a father takes his responsibility as a guide to his daughter’s future, knowing fully well that this will have an impact on his daughter's life, he becomes a co participant in creating a better future for his daughter. Usually, mothers serve as role models for their daughters. They provide examples of how to be an individual, a mother and a wife. In Juliet’s case, Lord Capulet has a point when he demands a future with Paris for Juliet because he is her father and has the right too. However, his tone, mean insults, and comments when talking to Juliet leads to somewhat damage in their father-daughter relationship. Lady Capulet is no mother to Juliet at all. The time period maybe different, but as a mother she should still calm her own daughter and tell her it’s for the best. Juliet instead runs to her Nurse for reassurance. With that being said, I can agree that Lady Capulet does not serve as a good role model for her own daughter. Of course it is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents, but too some extent. Very rarely do you see a family where the children are never disobedient and argue with their parents. I do not think Lord Capulet used the right words to express his point to Juliet. However, when you put yourself in his shoes, wouldn’t you be full of anger too with the way this situation plays out? Think about it. Lord Capulet thinks his daughter is mourning for her cousin’s death. He wants her to be happy so he thinks that a marriage with Paris should make her happy. It’s almost like he’s buying her a gift to make her happy, only he is arranging a marriage. When he finally decides to surprise her or let her know about this arranged marriage, he tells his wife to announce it to her. Juliet finding out from her mother flips out and concludes that she would rather marry Romeo, the murderer of her cousin whom her family hates, than Paris. After finding out that your daughter rejected your gift and stated that she would rather receive a piece of poop, wouldn’t you be pretty mad? Lord Capulet had a right to be furious at his daughter for replying that way because I think he just wanted her to be happy. When people are angry and heated up, they speak before they think. Sometimes, what you say when you are super mad you regret later because you weren’t thinking. Lord Capulet may regret what he said, or he may not. We don’t know. But what we do know for sure is that when we get mad, we become very nasty. Deep down, I think that Lord Capulet still truly loves his daughter because any father should love his daughter considering the fact that before Tybalt’s death, he was allowing her to wait for two years before she got married. Lord Capulet just wants the best for his daughter. What father wouldn’t? With this being stated, I believe that their relationship is not necessarily ruined. I think Lord Capulet still loves Juliet and still has time to apologize. Weather it might take him two days, a month, or even three years, it is never too late.
The fight between Juliet and her parents is a strange fight even for her time period. In Shakespeare’s time it would not have been common to have an argument between a daughter and her parents about marriage. Daughters were told with whom they were married and when. There may have been resistance to the proposition but never an argument. Juliet’s family is different because they originally want Juliet to marry whomever she wants, although it is assumed she will choose Paris. Even when Juliet says no they argue with her instead of just ignoring her, and marrying her against her consent. Comparing that fight to modern day teenagers is a difficult challenge. Everybody fights with their parents not just teenagers so to say that it is specifically normal for a teenager is wrong. While fighting with your parents is normal the scale of the fight is a different matter. The scale of a fight varies greatly from each family making the standards of ‘normal’ pretty wide. Juliet’s fight with her parents would have been considered normal in modern times if you disregard the subject. Every fight affects the relationship between the two people who are fighting. In Juliet’s case her fight with her parents had a deeper wound than normal due to the time period. The threats her father was making were very real threats that were not uncommon at the time. While parents in modern times may make similar threats they would not have as much meaning because it is not very common in this era. Juliet most likely felt fear when her father threatened her because she knew that it was very possible that her family would do that to her.
It is normal for teenagers and parents to fight every once in a while, but I think that the fight Juliet had with her parents went a little too far.
Juliet doesn’t have the greatest relationship with her parents because they didn’t play a big role in raising her. Neither of them know what she wants and they react in a very harsh way when she tries to tell them. When Juliet tells her father that she doesn’t want to marry Paris, he replies by calling her a disobedient wretch and telling her that if she doesn’t do what she is told she will be kicked out onto the streets. Juliet is very upset by this because she wants her parents to understand her and support her decision. I don’t think that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is completely ruined but I think that it is damaged. Juliet will eventually forgive her parents for what they said and they will eventually forgive her for disobeying them. I think that it will just take some time for them to understand that the things that were said were said out of anger. I think that Juliet’s parents really do love her; they just want what is best for her, which in their minds is marriage.
While it is normal for teenagers and parents to fight, the caliber of Capulet’s and Juliet’s fight is not so normal. Juliet’s father is very angry with her because she doesn’t want to marry Paris. Capulet calls his daughter all kinds of nasty things and says he will disown her if she doesn’t get married to the match he gave her. On page 167, Capulet says, “That God lent us but this only child, but now I see this one is too much, and that we have a curse in having her.” He is basically saying that he regrets having Juliet. No matter how mad they get at their children, most parents won’t say anything like that. I think Capulet blew the situation way out of proportion. I also think that most teenager-parent fights are the result of the children rebelling. Juliet was not rebelling, just merely voicing that she did not want to be married to Paris. It was very unreasonable for Capulet to get that mad at his daughter for voicing her opinion. This is clearly not a normal fight between parents and teenagers. I think this ruined an already tattered relationship between Juliet and her parents. After the fight, she lost all trust in them.
The fight that Juliet had between her parents is regular for a teenager. This sort of fight however is not as normal. I wouldn’t say that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is ruined, but in a way I think there was a damper put upon it. I do believe that fighting and arguing his a natural part of parents and teenagers relationships. Little arguments here and there are expected, but fights with regretting someone is born are more serious. The way that Lord Capulet expresses his anger towards Juliet is kind of unbelievable. I understand that parents get frustrated with their children, but his rage was uncalled for. If they would’ve considered Juliet’s say in the matter, they most likely could’ve worked the problem out. This whole disagreement between Juliet and her parents contributed to her plan to feign her death and that could’ve easily been avoided. Juliet wouldn’t have thought of her idea of “death” without this dispute between her and her parents and I find that quite sad.
Everyone has disagreed with one of their family members, friends, or other relatives at some point in their lives. Some of these arguments could be over a subject as simple as the right to hold the television remote, what music to listen to, where to go to school, what to eat, etc. All of the arguments that occur usually serve a purpose though in the relationships we build with them in the future and the lessons we learn. Juliet argues with her parents but she doesn't realize that they just want her to be happy, be guaranteed a rich and expense paid lifestyle, and looked at as royalty. Juliet was so hung up on Romeo to even attempt to walk in the parents shoes and see what they were hoping for her. Juliet should have quit sobbing and at least attempted to understand what was going through her parent's heads (or even asked them). What little arguments that occur between you and your parents may not mean a lot right now but one day you will look back on your youth and see the path/future opportunities they tried to lay out in front of you, what happiness they brought, and the good times you had. Arguments that are small between your parents and you should not really matter; they want the best for you. Don't waste your time arguing, you never know when they could be gone for good. Life is a precious joy that we all have the liberty to experience. We all play a role, we have dreams we aspire to accomplish, and we have a drive for what we love.
Coming from experience it is very natural for kids and their parents to get into an argument every once and a while. Their relationship is not ruined at all. The Capulet’s just got caught up in the moment and acted a little too harshly. Going off what I said about a fight with your parents is alright. It’s alright to the point where the parents are having a stern talk with their kids about what they did wrong, but I completely disagree with how, Capulet especially, handled the situation. He was calling her awful names and basically calling her a mistake and a disappointment to the family. He acted way too harshly and a father should never talk to their kid that way. Capulet called her a “green-sickness carrion.” He also said, “I will drag thee on a hurdle thither.” He is obviously making her get married and has no say in the situation. That is where I would draw the line. Arguments between kids and their parents are normal and fine, but there is a fine line between yelling and abuse.
Juliet does not receive the best treatment from her parents when she refuses to marry County Paris. Personally, I do not think the relationship between Juliet and her parents is ruined. It is very normal for teenagers to argue and disagree with their parents. When I get irritated because I am being forced into something, I put the blame on my parents most of the time. Although my parents are just doing what is best for me, I still do not agree with everything they wish. After the argument, we all take our time to cool off, and then we get over the situation. I give Lord Capulet and Lady Capulet credit for doing what is best for their daughter. Not knowing that Romeo and Juliet are married, they are doing what they feel is right. The love Lord and Lady Capulet have towards Juliet is true and it is obvious because of their wishes. Overall, I think there is still a very strong bond between Juliet, Lord Capulet and Lady Capulet because of how strong their love is.
I think it's normal for teenagers to get into fights with their parents like that. Some of the words that Juliet's parents had said were very hurtful though. I think that most of what was said was more out of anger rather than them truly meaning what they said to her. Juliet's parents don't really seem to treat her as a true daughter though, and just see her somewhat as a slave in a way by how they demand her to do every little thing that they tell her to. If Juliet does not comply with what they say, her parents threaten her until they get what they want. I think many parents today do things like this to their children too though, just not to such an extreme. Parents tend to threaten their kids with taking away their belongings or grounding them when they do not agree to do what they are told. I don't believe that this fight has ruined their relationship, but it probably has effected it in some way.
Parents and teenagers fight all the time in today’s day in age. I certainly fight with my parents a fair amount. Today, teenagers fight with their parents about curfews, grades, and friends. However, in Romeo and Juliet’s time, it was not acceptable for children to fight with their parents about anything. In my opinion, Juliet never had a relationship with her parents. If you think about it the nurse is her real mother. Earlier in the book, when the mother is trying to say something important and private to Juliet, she at first asks the nurse to leave so she can talk to her daughter. Then she realizes that she doesn’t know what to say or how to act towards Juliet so she asks the nurse to stay. She doesn’t really even ask Juliet if she wants to marry Paris, but rather tells her that eventually she will marry Paris. She doesn’t really have a real father. I think that Juliet’s biological parents do love her but not unconditionally. I think that they love her because she’s a good kid and she does what she’s told and not just because she’s their daughter.
In my personal opinion, I think it is completely normal for parents to fight with their children, especially when we’re teenagers. Being a teenager, I can definitely say that this is the age where I’ve fought with my parents most. Between hormones, and differing opinions, parents trying to do what they think is best, and teenagers thinking they know everything, you’re bound to get into a fight or two. I don’t think it was ever as heated as when Juliet’s parents said that she would have to live on the streets, but then again everyone says things they don’t mean in the heat of the moment. Because of this, I don’t think that that fight ruined their relationship. If Juliet wouldn’t have faked death, they would have most likely talked it out, or what I do, pretend it didn’t happen and apologize when I and totally calmed down.
I feel as though the relationship between Juliet and the Capulets is ruined. It is completely normal for teenagers to argue with their parents. However, Juliet's circumstances are anything but normal. Juliet's rash decisions leading up to the argument between Juliet and the Capulets are really what puts their relationship in an unfixable state. Juliet chose to marry her love, and family enemy, without the knowledge and consent of the Capulets. If Juliet had decided not to marry Romeo without the knowledge of her parents there would have been no dilemma when Juliet was told she was to marry Paris. Therefore, the argument between Juliet and the Capulets would have never taken place, and many hurtful words would have never been spoken. This, however, was not what happened. Because Juliet made poor decisions she will not be able to marry her betrothed, Paris, without betraying her already husband, Romeo. This will lead Juliet to make even more poor decisions such as faking her death and running away with Romeo. Juliet chooses to betray her parents rather than Romeo, and this ruins the relationship between Juliet and the Capulets.
It is very normal for teenagers to fight with their parents. Generations have differences; therefore parents are going to have views on things that will differ with their children’s views. However, things change over the years and the relationship between parents and kids is probably somewhat different than it used to be. Children used to be a lot more respectful than they are now. It is more acceptable in a sense to rebel against our elders than it used to be. In modern times, I think that a fight like this would not ruin a parent-child relationship. Sides might be taken and people will get upset, but in time it would blow over. In Romeo and Juliet’s time, a fight like this may ruin the relationship between Juliet and her parents. Most marriages were arranged and children didn’t question their parents as to why that certain person was selected to be their husband. Juliet’s parents wanted her to have happiness and riches. Marriage wasn’t based upon love but rather status. Juliet refuses and her father says that he’ll just put her out on the street and she’ll be a beggar and starve. I think that when he says that to her it shows that if she does not marry Paris, their relationship will be ruined.
The relationship between teenagers and their parents is always a tough relationship. It may seem harsh to some people that Lord Capulet threatens to kick Juliet out of the house, but in all reality it is not has harsh as people seem to think. I know that my dad has said that if I do not do this or that then I'm out of the house. That statement is nothing more than a threat to try and get Juliet to get her act in gear. The relationship between Juliet and her father most certainly can be patched once Lord Capulet has calmed down.
Usually, fights between teenagers and parents are harmless. However when death is involved a resulting argument could be much more devastating. The argument between Juliet and her parents was a bit too aggressive and might have actually ruined their relationship. It could go either way. If her parents find out that Juliet faked her death, then that would most likely end their relationship.
I feel that is a normal and commen way of life for teens to fight with their parents often. As teenagers approach adulthood, they are maturing and developing their own thoughts and ideas, which may clash with those of their parents'. I believe that Juliet is no different, and that the harsh treatment she recieved is very similar to teens and parents in today's world.
I think that the way Juliet's parents treated her only goes to show that they really do want what's best for her daughter, so that she will be respected and treated well in the Elizabethan society.
One has to remember that a lot of things were different back in Shakespeare's time. To fight back with you parents was simply unacceptable. I don't really believe that it was a fight; to have a fight you must have input from both sides. Juliet just sat there and took it all in. She knew she would be disrespecting her father if she even said so much as a word to him. On the hand of Lord Capulet, I think he overreacted wayyyy too much. Parents these days would not disown you if you didn't want to marry someone. This scene does have a few things in common with the fights parents have with their teenagers today, however. This "fight" was very brief and enraged, much like fights we may have with our parents today. One moment you are fighting and yelling, then give it about an hour and you are cooled off again (most of the time).So I don't think the relationship with her parents was completely ruined, but it definitely took a toll. The differences of the fight all go back to the differences from the 1500s to the 2000s.
22 comments:
It is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents every so often but Juliet and her parents don’t have a normal parent-child relationship. The Capulet’s don’t treat Juliet as their daughter. Lady Capulet can’t even talk to her daughter without the nurse’s help. Their conversations are more of meetings then family discussions. The way Juliet’s parents treat her after hearing her resentment to marrying Paris is cruel. No parent that loves their child would react the way they did. Juliet’s parents are civil unless they are disobeyed. Their relationship is not unconditional love, its love with conditions. If the Capulets truly cared for Juliet they would want her to be happy, and marrying Paris is torture to Juliet. If parents disagree with their children’s decisions, they talk to them and express their thoughts. They might not approve of your actions, but true parents they love you no matter what. They don’t disown you.
Well, back then teens needed to show a lot more respect towards their parents. This meant no talking back, no fighting with their parents, and speaks only when spoken to. If they didn't follow such rules, they got in trouble for it. Juliet's fight with her parents shows that they took offense to her stubbornness for refusing to marry Paris. They think she is an ungrateful child because she objected instead of agreeing to the decision that they had made like a good girl would. She really didn't have a say in who she could marry. Yes, I think their relationship is ruined. Then again, Lord and Lady Capulet didn't really have a strong bond with their daughter to start with. The only good bond that Juliet has is with the nurse. The Capulets just tell Juliet that they're done with her. Parents with strong, tight bonds with their kids, have a harder time letting them go, or getting rid of them. Lord and Lady Capulet are frustrated with Juliet. Therefore they punish her by saying they are done taking care of her and will throw her out on the streets if she doesn't marry Paris.
Teenagers and parents often don’t see things the same way. Teenagers are still very young and childish. Although we try to act mature, we don’t always think about consequences and how our decisions will affect our futures. It is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents.
On the other hand, Juliet and her parents are not as close as most families today. Juliet’s parents didn’t help raise her and probably don’t know what she wants or needs. When Juliet tries to tell them that she doesn’t want to marry Paris, they don’t listen. Her father is very harsh with her and says, “Hang thee, young baggage, disobedient wretch! I tell thee what: get thee to church o’ Thursday, or never after look me in the face. Speak not; reply not; do not answer me. My fingers itch. Wife, we scarce thought us blessed that God had lent us but this only child, but now I see this one is one too much, and that we have a curse in having her.” I think this is very harsh because he is telling Juliet that if she doesn’t marry Paris in three days, then he will shun her. He also says that they had one daughter to much and that she was a mistake. I don’t think that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is absolutely ruined but it is scarred. Her father shared some harsh words that cannot be taken back and that are very hard to forgive. I also think it’s hard for Juliet to understand how her parents could put Paris’s money and status before Juliet’s happiness. I think that if Juliet’s parents really cared about her well being and happiness, they would accept her decisions and would not shun her because of them.
It is normal for a teenager like her to fight with her parents. Their relationship with Juliet is so formal that this seems like the only normal thing about their relationship in the play. Their relationship, I think, i s already ruined because Juliet went behind their backs and got married to Romeo. Lady Capulet needs to confirm with the nurse about Juliet's age. The only time that the Capulets seemed to care about her was when Paris asked to marry Juliet the first time. Her father wanted to be happy, but now he is just making the decision for her. Even though he thinks it would take her mind off Tybalt's death, he doesn't know if Juliet even likes Paris. I think he should have at least asked Juliet before he said yes to Paris. I think that Lord Capulet was a little harsh on Juliet when he told her she was going to marry Paris. I think that he should not have threatened her because if you love your child enough then you would not throw them out onto the streets. I think that if Juliet would have said no to her father that he would have defiantly thrown her out and disown her. I don't think that any parent could do that to their child if they loved them. They might do it for just one night but not just disown them. I feel that fighting with your parents is what every teenager does now, I know I do. I also feel that the Capulets don’t have a good relationship with Juliet because if they did then they would have known about her marrying Romeo.
It is not the least bit unusual for a teenager, or any child for that matter, to become involved in heated arguments with his or her parents over minute occurrences. These disagreements are, for the most part, brief and dismissive with little or no obvious impact on either party, save for the occasional grounding of the adolescent. Rebellion is a customary mindset for a typical young person, though his or her motives habitually remain indefinite. However, in Juliet’s circumstance her parents have become corrupt, and in reality she is the adult while they are merely imposters of such beings. It is not a simple matter in which they transgress upon, as marriage is assuredly not a trivial substance. Juliet’s father is particularly vulgar and crude in his words, causing permanent damage to his daughters self esteem. His inability to control his anger is disgustingly childish, and is most likely the reason his wife and daughter have little respect for him as a person. While both mother and daughter fear Lord Capulet because of his authority, It is questionable as to whether either one genuinely loves him as a person. Either way, after Lord Capulet’s latest spell, Juliet can never go back to looking at Lord Capulet as her dad. He really isn’t either; only in the vaguest sense. Lord Capulet is nothing more than Juliet’s biological father.
Every father can make a huge difference in his daughter's life. When a father takes his responsibility as a guide to his daughter’s future, knowing fully well that this will have an impact on his daughter's life, he becomes a co participant in creating a better future for his daughter. Usually, mothers serve as role models for their daughters. They provide examples of how to be an individual, a mother and a wife. In Juliet’s case, Lord Capulet has a point when he demands a future with Paris for Juliet because he is her father and has the right too. However, his tone, mean insults, and comments when talking to Juliet leads to somewhat damage in their father-daughter relationship. Lady Capulet is no mother to Juliet at all. The time period maybe different, but as a mother she should still calm her own daughter and tell her it’s for the best. Juliet instead runs to her Nurse for reassurance. With that being said, I can agree that Lady Capulet does not serve as a good role model for her own daughter. Of course it is normal for teenagers to fight with their parents, but too some extent. Very rarely do you see a family where the children are never disobedient and argue with their parents. I do not think Lord Capulet used the right words to express his point to Juliet. However, when you put yourself in his shoes, wouldn’t you be full of anger too with the way this situation plays out? Think about it. Lord Capulet thinks his daughter is mourning for her cousin’s death. He wants her to be happy so he thinks that a marriage with Paris should make her happy. It’s almost like he’s buying her a gift to make her happy, only he is arranging a marriage. When he finally decides to surprise her or let her know about this arranged marriage, he tells his wife to announce it to her. Juliet finding out from her mother flips out and concludes that she would rather marry Romeo, the murderer of her cousin whom her family hates, than Paris. After finding out that your daughter rejected your gift and stated that she would rather receive a piece of poop, wouldn’t you be pretty mad? Lord Capulet had a right to be furious at his daughter for replying that way because I think he just wanted her to be happy. When people are angry and heated up, they speak before they think. Sometimes, what you say when you are super mad you regret later because you weren’t thinking. Lord Capulet may regret what he said, or he may not. We don’t know. But what we do know for sure is that when we get mad, we become very nasty. Deep down, I think that Lord Capulet still truly loves his daughter because any father should love his daughter considering the fact that before Tybalt’s death, he was allowing her to wait for two years before she got married. Lord Capulet just wants the best for his daughter. What father wouldn’t? With this being stated, I believe that their relationship is not necessarily ruined. I think Lord Capulet still loves Juliet and still has time to apologize. Weather it might take him two days, a month, or even three years, it is never too late.
The fight between Juliet and her parents is a strange fight even for her time period. In Shakespeare’s time it would not have been common to have an argument between a daughter and her parents about marriage. Daughters were told with whom they were married and when. There may have been resistance to the proposition but never an argument. Juliet’s family is different because they originally want Juliet to marry whomever she wants, although it is assumed she will choose Paris. Even when Juliet says no they argue with her instead of just ignoring her, and marrying her against her consent.
Comparing that fight to modern day teenagers is a difficult challenge. Everybody fights with their parents not just teenagers so to say that it is specifically normal for a teenager is wrong. While fighting with your parents is normal the scale of the fight is a different matter. The scale of a fight varies greatly from each family making the standards of ‘normal’ pretty wide. Juliet’s fight with her parents would have been considered normal in modern times if you disregard the subject.
Every fight affects the relationship between the two people who are fighting. In Juliet’s case her fight with her parents had a deeper wound than normal due to the time period. The threats her father was making were very real threats that were not uncommon at the time. While parents in modern times may make similar threats they would not have as much meaning because it is not very common in this era. Juliet most likely felt fear when her father threatened her because she knew that it was very possible that her family would do that to her.
It is normal for teenagers and parents to fight every once in a while, but I think that the fight Juliet had with her parents went a little too far.
Juliet doesn’t have the greatest relationship with her parents because they didn’t play a big role in raising her. Neither of them know what she wants and they react in a very harsh way when she tries to tell them. When Juliet tells her father that she doesn’t want to marry Paris, he replies by calling her a disobedient wretch and telling her that if she doesn’t do what she is told she will be kicked out onto the streets. Juliet is very upset by this because she wants her parents to understand her and support her decision. I don’t think that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is completely ruined but I think that it is damaged. Juliet will eventually forgive her parents for what they said and they will eventually forgive her for disobeying them. I think that it will just take some time for them to understand that the things that were said were said out of anger. I think that Juliet’s parents really do love her; they just want what is best for her, which in their minds is marriage.
While it is normal for teenagers and parents to fight, the caliber of Capulet’s and Juliet’s fight is not so normal. Juliet’s father is very angry with her because she doesn’t want to marry Paris. Capulet calls his daughter all kinds of nasty things and says he will disown her if she doesn’t get married to the match he gave her. On page 167, Capulet says, “That God lent us but this only child, but now I see this one is too much, and that we have a curse in having her.” He is basically saying that he regrets having Juliet. No matter how mad they get at their children, most parents won’t say anything like that. I think Capulet blew the situation way out of proportion.
I also think that most teenager-parent fights are the result of the children rebelling. Juliet was not rebelling, just merely voicing that she did not want to be married to Paris. It was very unreasonable for Capulet to get that mad at his daughter for voicing her opinion. This is clearly not a normal fight between parents and teenagers. I think this ruined an already tattered relationship between Juliet and her parents. After the fight, she lost all trust in them.
The fight that Juliet had between her parents is regular for a teenager. This sort of fight however is not as normal. I wouldn’t say that Juliet’s relationship with her parents is ruined, but in a way I think there was a damper put upon it. I do believe that fighting and arguing his a natural part of parents and teenagers relationships. Little arguments here and there are expected, but fights with regretting someone is born are more serious. The way that Lord Capulet expresses his anger towards Juliet is kind of unbelievable. I understand that parents get frustrated with their children, but his rage was uncalled for. If they would’ve considered Juliet’s say in the matter, they most likely could’ve worked the problem out. This whole disagreement between Juliet and her parents contributed to her plan to feign her death and that could’ve easily been avoided. Juliet wouldn’t have thought of her idea of “death” without this dispute between her and her parents and I find that quite sad.
Everyone has disagreed with one of their family members, friends, or other relatives at some point in their lives. Some of these arguments could be over a subject as simple as the right to hold the television remote, what music to listen to, where to go to school, what to eat, etc. All of the arguments that occur usually serve a purpose though in the relationships we build with them in the future and the lessons we learn.
Juliet argues with her parents but she doesn't realize that they just want her to be happy, be guaranteed a rich and expense paid lifestyle, and looked at as royalty. Juliet was so hung up on Romeo to even attempt to walk in the parents shoes and see what they were hoping for her. Juliet should have quit sobbing and at least attempted to understand what was going through her parent's heads (or even asked them).
What little arguments that occur between you and your parents may not mean a lot right now but one day you will look back on your youth and see the path/future opportunities they tried to lay out in front of you, what happiness they brought, and the good times you had. Arguments that are small between your parents and you should not really matter; they want the best for you. Don't waste your time arguing, you never know when they could be gone for good. Life is a precious joy that we all have the liberty to experience. We all play a role, we have dreams we aspire to accomplish, and we have a drive for what we love.
~Jeremy Brinling~
Coming from experience it is very natural for kids and their parents to get into an argument every once and a while. Their relationship is not ruined at all. The Capulet’s just got caught up in the moment and acted a little too harshly. Going off what I said about a fight with your parents is alright. It’s alright to the point where the parents are having a stern talk with their kids about what they did wrong, but I completely disagree with how, Capulet especially, handled the situation. He was calling her awful names and basically calling her a mistake and a disappointment to the family. He acted way too harshly and a father should never talk to their kid that way. Capulet called her a “green-sickness carrion.” He also said, “I will drag thee on a hurdle thither.” He is obviously making her get married and has no say in the situation. That is where I would draw the line. Arguments between kids and their parents are normal and fine, but there is a fine line between yelling and abuse.
Juliet does not receive the best treatment from her parents when she refuses to marry County Paris. Personally, I do not think the relationship between Juliet and her parents is ruined. It is very normal for teenagers to argue and disagree with their parents. When I get irritated because I am being forced into something, I put the blame on my parents most of the time. Although my parents are just doing what is best for me, I still do not agree with everything they wish. After the argument, we all take our time to cool off, and then we get over the situation. I give Lord Capulet and Lady Capulet credit for doing what is best for their daughter. Not knowing that Romeo and Juliet are married, they are doing what they feel is right. The love Lord and Lady Capulet have towards Juliet is true and it is obvious because of their wishes. Overall, I think there is still a very strong bond between Juliet, Lord Capulet and Lady Capulet because of how strong their love is.
I think it's normal for teenagers to get into fights with their parents like that. Some of the words that Juliet's parents had said were very hurtful though. I think that most of what was said was more out of anger rather than them truly meaning what they said to her. Juliet's parents don't really seem to treat her as a true daughter though, and just see her somewhat as a slave in a way by how they demand her to do every little thing that they tell her to. If Juliet does not comply with what they say, her parents threaten her until they get what they want. I think many parents today do things like this to their children too though, just not to such an extreme. Parents tend to threaten their kids with taking away their belongings or grounding them when they do not agree to do what they are told. I don't believe that this fight has ruined their relationship, but it probably has effected it in some way.
Parents and teenagers fight all the time in today’s day in age. I certainly fight with my parents a fair amount. Today, teenagers fight with their parents about curfews, grades, and friends. However, in Romeo and Juliet’s time, it was not acceptable for children to fight with their parents about anything. In my opinion, Juliet never had a relationship with her parents. If you think about it the nurse is her real mother. Earlier in the book, when the mother is trying to say something important and private to Juliet, she at first asks the nurse to leave so she can talk to her daughter. Then she realizes that she doesn’t know what to say or how to act towards Juliet so she asks the nurse to stay. She doesn’t really even ask Juliet if she wants to marry Paris, but rather tells her that eventually she will marry Paris. She doesn’t really have a real father. I think that Juliet’s biological parents do love her but not unconditionally. I think that they love her because she’s a good kid and she does what she’s told and not just because she’s their daughter.
In my personal opinion, I think it is completely normal for parents to fight with their children, especially when we’re teenagers. Being a teenager, I can definitely say that this is the age where I’ve fought with my parents most. Between hormones, and differing opinions, parents trying to do what they think is best, and teenagers thinking they know everything, you’re bound to get into a fight or two. I don’t think it was ever as heated as when Juliet’s parents said that she would have to live on the streets, but then again everyone says things they don’t mean in the heat of the moment. Because of this, I don’t think that that fight ruined their relationship. If Juliet wouldn’t have faked death, they would have most likely talked it out, or what I do, pretend it didn’t happen and apologize when I and totally calmed down.
I feel as though the relationship between Juliet and the Capulets is ruined. It is completely normal for teenagers to argue with their parents. However, Juliet's circumstances are anything but normal. Juliet's rash decisions leading up to the argument between Juliet and the Capulets are really what puts their relationship in an unfixable state. Juliet chose to marry her love, and family enemy, without the knowledge and consent of the Capulets. If Juliet had decided not to marry Romeo without the knowledge of her parents there would have been no dilemma when Juliet was told she was to marry Paris. Therefore, the argument between Juliet and the Capulets would have never taken place, and many hurtful words would have never been spoken. This, however, was not what happened. Because Juliet made poor decisions she will not be able to marry her betrothed, Paris, without betraying her already husband, Romeo. This will lead Juliet to make even more poor decisions such as faking her death and running away with Romeo. Juliet chooses to betray her parents rather than Romeo, and this ruins the relationship between Juliet and the Capulets.
It is very normal for teenagers to fight with their parents. Generations have differences; therefore parents are going to have views on things that will differ with their children’s views. However, things change over the years and the relationship between parents and kids is probably somewhat different than it used to be. Children used to be a lot more respectful than they are now. It is more acceptable in a sense to rebel against our elders than it used to be. In modern times, I think that a fight like this would not ruin a parent-child relationship. Sides might be taken and people will get upset, but in time it would blow over. In Romeo and Juliet’s time, a fight like this may ruin the relationship between Juliet and her parents. Most marriages were arranged and children didn’t question their parents as to why that certain person was selected to be their husband. Juliet’s parents wanted her to have happiness and riches. Marriage wasn’t based upon love but rather status. Juliet refuses and her father says that he’ll just put her out on the street and she’ll be a beggar and starve. I think that when he says that to her it shows that if she does not marry Paris, their relationship will be ruined.
The relationship between teenagers and their parents is always a tough relationship. It may seem harsh to some people that Lord Capulet threatens to kick Juliet out of the house, but in all reality it is not has harsh as people seem to think. I know that my dad has said that if I do not do this or that then I'm out of the house. That statement is nothing more than a threat to try and get Juliet to get her act in gear. The relationship between Juliet and her father most certainly can be patched once Lord Capulet has calmed down.
Usually, fights between teenagers and parents are harmless. However when death is involved a resulting argument could be much more devastating. The argument between Juliet and her parents was a bit too aggressive and might have actually ruined their relationship. It could go either way. If her parents find out that Juliet faked her death, then that would most likely end their relationship.
I feel that is a normal and commen way of life for teens to fight with their parents often. As teenagers approach adulthood, they are maturing and developing their own thoughts and ideas, which may clash with those of their parents'. I believe that Juliet is no different, and that the harsh treatment she recieved is very similar to teens and parents in today's world.
I think that the way Juliet's parents treated her only goes to show that they really do want what's best for her daughter, so that she will be respected and treated well in the Elizabethan society.
One has to remember that a lot of things were different back in Shakespeare's time. To fight back with you parents was simply unacceptable. I don't really believe that it was a fight; to have a fight you must have input from both sides. Juliet just sat there and took it all in. She knew she would be disrespecting her father if she even said so much as a word to him. On the hand of Lord Capulet, I think he overreacted wayyyy too much. Parents these days would not disown you if you didn't want to marry someone. This scene does have a few things in common with the fights parents have with their teenagers today, however. This "fight" was very brief and enraged, much like fights we may have with our parents today. One moment you are fighting and yelling, then give it about an hour and you are cooled off again (most of the time).So I don't think the relationship with her parents was completely ruined, but it definitely took a toll. The differences of the fight all go back to the differences from the 1500s to the 2000s.
Post a Comment