This blog is for Ms. Shores' tenth grade Communications students.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Romeo and Juliet Act IV: question 1
1. Juliet decides to trust the friar even though it is risky to take the potion that he gives her. Why does she do it? Does she have any other options? What would you do if you were Juliet? Due Friday, 3/5/2010 by midnight.
Juliet trusts the friar for two reasons. The first reason is that she desperately feels the need to somehow not marry Paris, yet still be able to be with Romeo. The plan the friar presents fulfills those needs. She also trusts the friar because he is a man of God. And a man who is filled with the Lord above cannot possible be untrustworthy, can he? The way Juliet sees it, her only other options are marry Paris and live a life filled with sorrow, or death itself. Juliet would rather die than live apart from her Romeo. If I were in Juliet's position, I do think that I would take the potion from the friar. He is a man of God, and men of God are men to be trusted. And if on the off chance the friar's potion was fatal, death would be better than not remaining true to my husband, the man that I love with every piece of my heart. I believe in true love, and doing whatever it takes to keep true love together and faithful.
Initially when Juliet goes to Friar Lawrence, she threatens suicide. This is why I feel she trusts him, even though it is risky and the potion could kill her. She would rather die than marry Paris in the first place. Either she will wake up and be with Romeo or she will die, either by the potion or by her own hand. I don't think Juliet sees any other option. I don't feel that marrying Paris is even an option in her mind. It is most likely the most rational choice, but Juliet is thirteen and therefore, not a rational person. She is driven by hormones and impulse, as any normal thirteen year old is. I hope that if I were in Juliet's shoes, I would do the rational thing and not take the potion, but I cannot say for sure. As humans, we are all driven by impulse and make irrational decisions at times. These decisions are made especially in times of fear and passion. I do not necessarily disagree with Juliet's decision but I feel she could have put a tad bit more thought into what she is doing with her life.
Juliet understands that procuring the potion will put her at a great risk. Personally, I think there are several motives as to why Juliet chooses to take the potion. The love between Romeo and Juliet runs deep, and the foremost reason why she took the potion is to become closer to Romeo. Juliet loves Romeo very much and is very faithful to him. The last thing Juliet wants to do at this point is destroy her marriage to Romeo by marrying another man. In my opinion, the only negative thing Juliet sees in her imminent marriage is her relationship with Romeo. With Romeo being exiled from Verona there would be no alternate way for him to return to see his love. Clearly, Juliet is desperate to see Romeo, and if this is her only way, then she will do what she has to do. Other options are feasible for Juliet, but they would all be illegal and possibly more risky. If Juliet was to go see Romeo by herself, then unwanted things would occur between her and her parents. Knowing there is already a feud occurring between the Capulets and the Montagues, I think revealing Romeo and Juliet’s marriage would make things much worse. If I were Juliet, I would do the same thing and drink the potion. Being in love with somebody means you would do anything in the world for them, and if it means taking a risk for death then that shows true compassion. Drinking the potion shows Juliet’s true love for Romeo.
In Act 4, Juliet decides to take the sleeping potion from the Friar, even though it is risky to do such. Juliet, being young and naïve, I believe would trust any elder, especially that of a holy man who had helped her all along in her love with Romeo. In her mind I think that she believes she has no other options because, in her heart, she wants only one thing, which is to be with Romeo. Knowing this, she obviously would do anything that she could in order to be with her one true love, because that’s what she wants more than her life. This is why she is willing to risk her life, because there is no other option than to be with Romeo. Had I been in Juliet’s position I would have contemplated some way of escaping Verona to run away with Romeo. Juliet may not have seen this as an option due to her most likely having hardly been outside her home and hence, would rather take her chances ingesting a sleeping potion made by someone she trusts, then venture out into a world she has no reason to trust. The actions of Juliet are that of a love obsessed girl who is desperate to be with her Romeo.
Juliet questions for a moment whether or not she made the right decision in trusting the friar. She starts to wonder if he is trying to poison her or if the sleeping potion will work at all. Juliet has all of these thoughts in her head, but in the end she eventually decides to trust Friar Laurence and take the potion. I believe that she does this because in her mind, there was no alternative. Even if the vial was poison or if it didn’t work, it wouldn’t matter because if she didn’t at least try to be with Romeo her life would have no meaning. To her, Romeo is the only thing in her world that matters to her, and if she can’t be with him then she would rather be dead. So in reality, it was not that hard for her to trust the friar because there was nothing else that could have been done. If I were Juliet, I would have made the same decision. If I wanted to be with Romeo, than trusting the friar was the only way to make that happen.
In my opinion, Juliet trusts the friar because she is so blinded by love that she will do anything to be with Romeo. Juliet is very young and inexperienced so in her mind all she has left is to be with Romeo. Juliet also doesn’t want to marry Paris. She is already Romeo’s wife, although her family doesn’t know, and she doesn’t want to dishonor her relationship with Romeo. On the other hand, Juliet probably trusts the friar because he is a holy man of God.
At the time, Juliet really didn’t have any other options. Young girls, and women in general, were not really allowed to go anywhere by themselves. One of the only places that you ever find Juliet that is outside of her house is at the church. I also think the fact that Juliet has doubts about the plan, but still goes through with it, shows there really is no other way for her to be reunited with Romeo. The worst risk of taking the potion is death, and I believe Juliet would rather be dead than have to marry Paris and live without Romeo. If I was in love with someone, like Juliet is with Romeo, I think I would take the potion. In my opinion, true love is rare so if I am lucky enough to find it I would do anything to maintain that bond.
Juliet trusts the friar because he is holy and he is Romeo's confedant. She has a special bond with him because he did what she wanted most (that was forbidden by her parents) which was marry her and Romeo. If I were Juliet the whole situation with the potion would seem pretty sketchy at first. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and something had to be done or else they were both almost guaranteed to never see each other again. The way that she chooses to go about being with Romeo is a little but dramatic, and I'm sure some other things could have been done. But they truly love each other and nothing can stop her at this point. Juliet seems like a legit person and wouldn't marry Paris, which is another reason why she took the potion. As one can see, there are many contributing factors as to why Juliet so desperately took the potion. It was a rash decision but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Before the Friar introduced his potion to Juliet, Juliet was prepared and willing to kill herself. Because Juliet is so desperate to not marry Paris and be with Romeo she is willing to do anything. There are plenty of other options for Juliet to consider, but the only two options she has though about are suicide and drinking the Friar's potion. Yes, there are flaws with the Friar's potion. The potion could poison and kill Juliet or simply have no effect on Juliet at all. However, the potential complications of the potion are not worse than the only alterntative Juliet will consider, suicide. If I were Juliet, I would take the Friar's potion. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
In the most desperate of situations, it is not uncommon for an individual to act impulsively at the first glimpse of genuine hope and expectation. In Juliet’s situation, circumstances appear exceedingly dire. The friar’s devious arrangement regarding Juliet’s feigned death is the sole focus of Juliet’s, as judgment strays from her grasp. She clutches tightly to the bleached horizon, joyous in the prospect of a break in the storm. Although impetuous, it is only reasonable that Juliet was an ocean of thoughts and emotions during this moment, and I am certain that, at least for a fleeting instant, Juliet fearfully considered the outcome of a deceitful friar. These proposals did not appear to maintain dominion over Juliet for a significant time, however, perhaps due to the friar’s dedicated role of sanctification. Were the friar a peasant of meekly background, abstaining from holy practices, Juliet would have been notably hesitant to confront an intricate quandary in such a manner. Besides the friar’s humble persona, Juliet considers her options and meager governing authority, and settles upon the realization that the Friar’s proposition is the only logical option besides wedding a man she wishes not. I cannot deny that, faced with such perilous conditions, I would have doubtlessly participated in the same wanton conduct as did Juliet.
The friar gives Juliet a potion that will make her sleep deeply for forty two hours and appear as if dead. There are a few reasons why I think Juliet trusted the friar and risked her life by taking the potion. One reason is because she needed a way out of her forced marriage to Paris. First off she is already married. She doesn’t want to betray Romeo by marrying another man. Though Romeo has been exiled from Verona, Juliet still loves him deeply. Another reason I think she does this is because she wants to be with Romeo. Friar Lawrence said that when Juliet woke up, Romeo would be there with him to take Juliet back to Mantua with him. All Juliet really cares about is her love for Romeo and being with him. With Romeo’s exile from Verona, being together wasn’t possible. Taking the potion would mean they could be together. I actually think that Juliet had another option. Lord and Lady Capulet had said that if Juliet didn’t marry Paris, they would throw her out into the streets to live alone, and they would have nothing to do with her ever again. Though this is not what Juliet wanted, why didn’t she just refuse doing? She would have been kicked out and been able to go to Mantua to be with Romeo. Leaving Verona and your parents behind to be with Romeo I think is just as bad as feigning your death, leaving your parents in sorrow and loss. Though I can see why she would choose the latter. By doing this Juliet would still be on good terms with her parents when she “died”, even though it was a lie. Personally, I don’t agree with what she did or what I just mentioned as another option. Though it would be rather tough and scary to do, I would tell my parents that I was married already. This would have been the right thing for Juliet and Romeo to do. They were already married so their families would just have to deal with their child being married to the “enemy.”
Juliet knows full well that taking the potion is very risky. However, this is Juliet’s only other option except for marrying Paris. She just feels trapped and she would rather take the risk of the potion than get married to anyone other than Romeo. In her mind, taking the potion and hoping Romeo shows up is Juliet’s only option. Juliet would rather be dead than forced into her arranged marriage. I also think that Juliet realizes the friar is an overall nice guy that just wants to help her. She knows he would never do anything to hurt her on purpose. By this point she has no other choice but to put all her trust in the friar. After all, he is one of the only people that know about her marriage to Romeo, and if she can’t trust him now, how can she trust him with the secret of her relationship? If I were in Juliet’s shoes, I don’t think I would have taken the potion. It is just too risky for me and I think the situation would have straightened out eventually. The plan just seems too flawed. I would definitely consider taking it, but in the end, I know my conservative side would win out over the friar’s radical plan.
I partially agree with Becca. I agree that she took the potion because she would rather die then be without Romeo and with Paris. However, I disagree that she trusted he would not purposely give her a poison to kill her. I think that she trusted him to not mess up on the potion. Other than that, I agree that she definitely abhorred the idea of getting married to Paris and being unfaithful to Romeo. To Juliet, their love was very real and I believe it could never be broken, not even by death.
In the events leading up to Juliet’s drinking of the sleeping potion, Juliet went through a series of incredibly traumatic events. She was reprimanded by her parents for not reconciling with the idea of marrying County Paris. After this, she ran to Friar Lawrence and asked for help, and he gave her the sleeping potion. Taking this potion obviously had many contingencies, but Juliet decided to drink it anyway. Why did she take such a risk? In my opinion, it was because of three main things: fear of marrying Paris, a desire to leave her argumentative and stubborn parents, and a longing to be with her Romeo. Her adamancy to not marry Paris was very evident, based on her strong negative reaction toward the idea when it was given by her mom. She would rather marry Romeo (who she told Lady Capulet that she hated) than Paris. To escape this, Juliet took the potion and followed through with the Friar’s plan. I also believe that Juliet took the potion in order to escape the admonishment of both Lord and Lady Capulet. Although it doesn’t directly state this in the book, I believe that Juliet wanted to get away from her parents and their desires which conflicted with her desires to be with Romeo. I can relate to this type of behavior. When my parents argue with me and they want me to do something that I don’t want to do, I just want to put myself as far away from them as possible. I believe that Juliet reacted somewhat in this manner by taking the Friar’s potion. Finally, I believe that Juliet’s desperation to be with Romeo caused her to take the poem. The Friar offered Juliet a way to be with her true love, and Juliet’s acting on her love impulse resulted in her taking the potion. These are the three main reasons why I believe Juliet took the sleeping potion and followed through with the plan. I doubt that Juliet really had any other feasible options. If she were to confess everything pertaining to her love for Romeo to her parents, it would cause many more problems to occur and a lot of tension would arise. Also, if she were to leave by herself and find Romeo, her parents would eventually realize that she is missing, or someone might see Juliet and reveal her to her parents. I believe that the Friar’s plan is probably the most practical option. However, that does not mean that it is the “right” option. If I were unfortunately placed in Juliet’s position, I probably would follow through with the Friar’s idea as well. To me, if this idea would have worked out perfectly, then this would be the safest plan to have me end up with the one I loved. If I was like Juliet and I wanted to be with Romeo with all my heart, then I would definitely enact this plan.
I think that Juliet trusts the friar’s plan because she feels so desperate at that point. Juliet hasn’t come up with any other options that she could take. Her only other option to avoid marrying Paris would be to escape from her home and flee to Mantua where Romeo has settled. She would have the option to take this route, but it probably would work. Her parents would find out she has gone astray and send people to find her. Juliet Loves Romeo so much that she believes it is worth taking the risk of drinking the potion. If she were to die from the potion I’m sure she would happier than if she refused it and ended up marrying Paris.
I feel Juliet did the right thing. I would have done the same myself. If it meant I had to live with someone for the rest of my life whom I didn’t desire, the risk would be all worth it. I don’t know as if I would rather die because today nobody could force me to marry someone that I didn’t want to. In her time though, her parents would have forced her to marry the man of their choice.
I think Juliet took the potion because it was the first option that was presented to her that would help her avoid marrying Paris. I think Juliet would have done anything in order to escape marrying Paris because it meant that she could be with Romeo. Juliet seemed to trust the friar so she didn’t even second guess the potion and what it would do. Juliet didn’t have any other options and she didn’t have much time to find anything else that would work.
I don’t think that I would take the potion because I don’t normally make big decisions without thinking it through first. I would probably look for other options, but if I couldn’t find anything else I would probably use the potion as a last resort.
The Friar thinks that he can fix the mess that is happening by giving Juliet a potion that will make her sleep, but will also make her appear to be dead. It is risky but she still takes the potion in hopes to be reunited with her husband Romeo. She takes the risk because she threatened to commit suicide anyways. She feels that if she can’t be with Romeo, and has to marry Paris her life isn’t worth living. She either has to take the potion or marry Paris. There isn’t really any other options. If I was Juliet I would also take the potion. Juliet was obviously deeply in love with Romeo, and if I was in her place I would want to do everything I could to find a way to be with him.
Juliet’s decision to drink the potion is very serious and smart in my opinion. Juliet does this to avoid her marriage with Paris and I think it’s a clever idea. If the whole plan would’ve worked out, this whole shindig would’ve been her essential life saver. Without it, Juliet could be living a regretful life with a man whom she didn’t love. I’m sure that everyday she would’ve regretted not trying to escape the marriage. The only other option Juliet could’ve turned to is running away possibly. If she did decide to do this, she might’ve gotten caught, or even worse discovered by someone. If I were Juliet, I think I would have done the same thing. If I came to a friar for advice and he offered me that potion, I’m sure I’d think the same way as Juliet. It seems like a well thought out plan and when you’re in love, you do crazy things for your lover.
Juliet is desperate to do anything but marry Paris. She really does not want to jeopardize her marriage with Romeo by marring Paris. She goes to the Friar and says that she would rather die that marry Paris. The Friar comes up with a scheme in which Juliet would take a potion that would make her sleep for forty-two hours, then when she wakes up Romeo would be there to take her away. Juliet knows that if takes the concoction that there are many things that can go wrong. She could never wake up or she could wake up in the tomb with all of the dead Capulet bodies. Juliet would rather die than marry Paris, so she decides to take her chances. Juliet did have other options. She could have run away to Romeo or she could probably find another place to temporarily live to give herself time to come up with a different plan. She also could have done something entirely different and told her parents that she had already married Romeo. If I were Juliet I would have done the same thing. Her parents do not know her and do not what is best for her. I would never marry someone that I did not love and I would take any chances to so that I would not have to. I would much rather die than marry someone that my parents thought was good for me. Unfortunately things do not work out as planned for Juliet, but I would have done the same thing.
Juliet is desperate to do anything but marry Paris. She really does not want to jeopardize her marriage with Romeo by marring Paris. She goes to the Friar and says that she would rather die that marry Paris. The Friar comes up with a scheme in which Juliet would take a potion that would make her sleep for forty-two hours, then when she wakes up Romeo would be there to take her away. Juliet knows that if takes the concoction that there are many things that can go wrong. She could never wake up or she could wake up in the tomb with all of the dead Capulet bodies. Juliet would rather die than marry Paris, so she decides to take her chances. Juliet did have other options. She could have run away to Romeo or she could probably find another place to temporarily live to give herself time to come up with a different plan. She also could have done something entirely different and told her parents that she had already married Romeo. If I were Juliet I would have done the same thing. Her parents do not know her and do not what is best for her. I would never marry someone that I did not love and I would take any chances to so that I would not have to. I would much rather die than marry someone that my parents thought was good for me. Unfortunately things do not work out as planned for Juliet, but I would have done the same thing.
Juliet's decision to trust the friar and take the potion is very unwise. I also think that the friar is irresponsible to suggest to her to take the potion. There were many risks to plan, such as her dieing which happened. Juliet taking the potion is what ultimatley was the cause of her and Romeo's death. I think that Juliet trusts Friar Lawrence because she believes it will work and is too foolish to realize the risks. She also did not think through the decision at all. Juliet is very desperate at this point and when the friar suggests that she takes the potion she does think twice about it. Juliet has very few other options right now. She can just marry Paris, she can runaway to find Romeo in Mantua, or she can tell her parents about her marriage to Romeo. If I were Juliet I think I would have to tell my parents about my marriage and hope that they are understanding. If they do not accept me for who I love then I do not want to be around them.
Juliet is addicted to her love for Romeo the same way someone is addicted to drugs. Desperate for her love, Juliet will endure any difficulty—in this case drinking a potion from an elderly friar—to satisfy her addiction, just as someone may ingest potentially fatal drugs from mysterious street vendors to satisfy their addictions. Juliet—through substantial willpower—can overcome this addiction; however, like drug addicts, she will suffer painful withdrawals from her disconnection from Romeo. If God had animated me in the form of Juliet, I would not drink the friar’s potion. Any relationship that hinges upon the consumption of tonics brewed by geriatric friars, inherently, is doomed to fail. Quite frankly, it’s not worth the trouble.
Juliet puts all of her trust into the friar in order to stay faithful to Romeo. She loves Romeo so much that she would literally do anything, even something irrational, for him. She doesn’t want to marry Paris because she is Romeo’s wife and doesn’t want to be disloyal. I believe she take this risky potion that the friar gives her because she really wants to see Romeo again and be his other half. I feel she trusts him because he is in a holy position, and everyone respects friars. On page 110 she is talking to the friar right before he gives her the potion. She said, “And I will do it without fear or doubt, To live an unstained wife to my sweet love.”That line states that without fright or uncertainty she wants to live as a loyal wife for Romeo, no matter what it takes. I feel the only thing that persuades her to do this is her love for Romeo. On page 116, she is talking to herself in her room before she drinks the potion. She ends up talking herself into drinking it, but only because of Romeo and her love for him. The last lines she says is, “Romeo, Romeo, Romeo, I drink to thee.” He is what empowered her to make such a decision. Her love for him is what caused her to make such a risky decision. If I were Juliet I would have done the same to be able to be with the person I was forbid to love. She had to drink the potion, so her parents wouldn’t disown her when she didn’t marry Paris. I think she should have talked with her parents about the situation, but that may have made them more furious. Therefore, I would have done the same thing. If my parents were very angry with me and forced me to do something out of their love for me, I would drink a potion a church official gave me in order to be with the man I loved. Some people may say this is an insane thing she did because she might have not woken up, but love makes you choose some extreme decisions.
Faking her own death is a great option for Juliet. Since she's already ready to just die to avoid what's coming, she might as well go for a crazy chance to have everything work out again, an all or nothing option. I think since the friar was kind to them before, marrying them, and keeping them safe, it's not surprising that she trusts him now. The friar realizes that any plan to save Juliet's life and avoid any more unnecessary loss of life is worth the risk. If I were Juliet I would definitely go for this option, if it worked, all problems are solved I can live on happily. And if it doesn't work, I just die anyway.
The way Juliet views this siuation is that she has no other options at this point. If she runs, her parents will find her and if she marries Paris she will not see Romeo anymore. The frair is a man of faith, so Juliet put her trust in him. He helped them when they wanted to be married, helped Romeo escape to Mantua after seeing Juliet one last time, and now he is helping her. If I were Juliet I would probably do the same thing that she did. I would not want to run away never seeing my family again and I would not want to kill myself. The potion would to me feel as if it was my only option in that situation.
I think that Juliet decides to take the potion that the friar gives her because whether she dies or is just put into a deep sleep, it is a way to get out of marrying Paris. If the option did work, it was the perfect way to be with Romeo for the rest of her life. She had other options, like running away, just marrying him, ect. If I were Juliet, I don’t think I would’ve taken the potion. If I were Juliet in this situation, I probably would’ve just run away to Mantua. I would have done that because if I pretend I’m dead, there is no possible way I could ever return home if things didn’t work out. However, if I run away, I can always go home and try and fix things with my parents.
Juliet placed a grave amount of trust in the Friar by drinking the potion he gave her. He told her it would be the perfect escape for the plan, but how does she know it couldn't be fatal and actually take her life rather than be an act? She had to take the risk though due to the fact she has no other options that result in her wanted outcome. She could decide not to take the risk, never see Romeo again, and marry Paris, or she could take the risk and have a good chance of escaping and running away with Romeo. Its not a surprise which path she chose. If I was in Juliet's shoes, I'd probably do the same thing with the given situation. She really didn't have any reason not to trust the Friar. He was the one who helped Juliet and Romeo stay together. There's a posibility that the motives behind the Frair's actions could vary, but he never showed any cruel characteristics towards Juliet nor Romeo foreshadowing him inflicting harm against either.
26 comments:
Juliet trusts the friar for two reasons. The first reason is that she desperately feels the need to somehow not marry Paris, yet still be able to be with Romeo. The plan the friar presents fulfills those needs. She also trusts the friar because he is a man of God. And a man who is filled with the Lord above cannot possible be untrustworthy, can he? The way Juliet sees it, her only other options are marry Paris and live a life filled with sorrow, or death itself. Juliet would rather die than live apart from her Romeo.
If I were in Juliet's position, I do think that I would take the potion from the friar. He is a man of God, and men of God are men to be trusted. And if on the off chance the friar's potion was fatal, death would be better than not remaining true to my husband, the man that I love with every piece of my heart. I believe in true love, and doing whatever it takes to keep true love together and faithful.
Initially when Juliet goes to Friar Lawrence, she threatens suicide. This is why I feel she trusts him, even though it is risky and the potion could kill her. She would rather die than marry Paris in the first place. Either she will wake up and be with Romeo or she will die, either by the potion or by her own hand. I don't think Juliet sees any other option. I don't feel that marrying Paris is even an option in her mind. It is most likely the most rational choice, but Juliet is thirteen and therefore, not a rational person. She is driven by hormones and impulse, as any normal thirteen year old is. I hope that if I were in Juliet's shoes, I would do the rational thing and not take the potion, but I cannot say for sure. As humans, we are all driven by impulse and make irrational decisions at times. These decisions are made especially in times of fear and passion. I do not necessarily disagree with Juliet's decision but I feel she could have put a tad bit more thought into what she is doing with her life.
Juliet understands that procuring the potion will put her at a great risk. Personally, I think there are several motives as to why Juliet chooses to take the potion. The love between Romeo and Juliet runs deep, and the foremost reason why she took the potion is to become closer to Romeo. Juliet loves Romeo very much and is very faithful to him. The last thing Juliet wants to do at this point is destroy her marriage to Romeo by marrying another man. In my opinion, the only negative thing Juliet sees in her imminent marriage is her relationship with Romeo. With Romeo being exiled from Verona there would be no alternate way for him to return to see his love. Clearly, Juliet is desperate to see Romeo, and if this is her only way, then she will do what she has to do. Other options are feasible for Juliet, but they would all be illegal and possibly more risky. If Juliet was to go see Romeo by herself, then unwanted things would occur between her and her parents. Knowing there is already a feud occurring between the Capulets and the Montagues, I think revealing Romeo and Juliet’s marriage would make things much worse. If I were Juliet, I would do the same thing and drink the potion. Being in love with somebody means you would do anything in the world for them, and if it means taking a risk for death then that shows true compassion. Drinking the potion shows Juliet’s true love for Romeo.
In Act 4, Juliet decides to take the sleeping potion from the Friar, even though it is risky to do such. Juliet, being young and naïve, I believe would trust any elder, especially that of a holy man who had helped her all along in her love with Romeo. In her mind I think that she believes she has no other options because, in her heart, she wants only one thing, which is to be with Romeo. Knowing this, she obviously would do anything that she could in order to be with her one true love, because that’s what she wants more than her life. This is why she is willing to risk her life, because there is no other option than to be with Romeo. Had I been in Juliet’s position I would have contemplated some way of escaping Verona to run away with Romeo. Juliet may not have seen this as an option due to her most likely having hardly been outside her home and hence, would rather take her chances ingesting a sleeping potion made by someone she trusts, then venture out into a world she has no reason to trust. The actions of Juliet are that of a love obsessed girl who is desperate to be with her Romeo.
Juliet questions for a moment whether or not she made the right decision in trusting the friar. She starts to wonder if he is trying to poison her or if the sleeping potion will work at all. Juliet has all of these thoughts in her head, but in the end she eventually decides to trust Friar Laurence and take the potion. I believe that she does this because in her mind, there was no alternative. Even if the vial was poison or if it didn’t work, it wouldn’t matter because if she didn’t at least try to be with Romeo her life would have no meaning. To her, Romeo is the only thing in her world that matters to her, and if she can’t be with him then she would rather be dead. So in reality, it was not that hard for her to trust the friar because there was nothing else that could have been done. If I were Juliet, I would have made the same decision. If I wanted to be with Romeo, than trusting the friar was the only way to make that happen.
In my opinion, Juliet trusts the friar because she is so blinded by love that she will do anything to be with Romeo. Juliet is very young and inexperienced so in her mind all she has left is to be with Romeo. Juliet also doesn’t want to marry Paris. She is already Romeo’s wife, although her family doesn’t know, and she doesn’t want to dishonor her relationship with Romeo. On the other hand, Juliet probably trusts the friar because he is a holy man of God.
At the time, Juliet really didn’t have any other options. Young girls, and women in general, were not really allowed to go anywhere by themselves. One of the only places that you ever find Juliet that is outside of her house is at the church. I also think the fact that Juliet has doubts about the plan, but still goes through with it, shows there really is no other way for her to be reunited with Romeo. The worst risk of taking the potion is death, and I believe Juliet would rather be dead than have to marry Paris and live without Romeo. If I was in love with someone, like Juliet is with Romeo, I think I would take the potion. In my opinion, true love is rare so if I am lucky enough to find it I would do anything to maintain that bond.
Juliet trusts the friar because he is holy and he is Romeo's confedant. She has a special bond with him because he did what she wanted most (that was forbidden by her parents) which was marry her and Romeo. If I were Juliet the whole situation with the potion would seem pretty sketchy at first. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and something had to be done or else they were both almost guaranteed to never see each other again. The way that she chooses to go about being with Romeo is a little but dramatic, and I'm sure some other things could have been done. But they truly love each other and nothing can stop her at this point. Juliet seems like a legit person and wouldn't marry Paris, which is another reason why she took the potion. As one can see, there are many contributing factors as to why Juliet so desperately took the potion. It was a rash decision but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Before the Friar introduced his potion to Juliet, Juliet was prepared and willing to kill herself. Because Juliet is so desperate to not marry Paris and be with Romeo she is willing to do anything. There are plenty of other options for Juliet to consider, but the only two options she has though about are suicide and drinking the Friar's potion. Yes, there are flaws with the Friar's potion. The potion could poison and kill Juliet or simply have no effect on Juliet at all. However, the potential complications of the potion are not worse than the only alterntative Juliet will consider, suicide. If I were Juliet, I would take the Friar's potion. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
In the most desperate of situations, it is not uncommon for an individual to act impulsively at the first glimpse of genuine hope and expectation. In Juliet’s situation, circumstances appear exceedingly dire. The friar’s devious arrangement regarding Juliet’s feigned death is the sole focus of Juliet’s, as judgment strays from her grasp. She clutches tightly to the bleached horizon, joyous in the prospect of a break in the storm. Although impetuous, it is only reasonable that Juliet was an ocean of thoughts and emotions during this moment, and I am certain that, at least for a fleeting instant, Juliet fearfully considered the outcome of a deceitful friar. These proposals did not appear to maintain dominion over Juliet for a significant time, however, perhaps due to the friar’s dedicated role of sanctification. Were the friar a peasant of meekly background, abstaining from holy practices, Juliet would have been notably hesitant to confront an intricate quandary in such a manner. Besides the friar’s humble persona, Juliet considers her options and meager governing authority, and settles upon the realization that the Friar’s proposition is the only logical option besides wedding a man she wishes not. I cannot deny that, faced with such perilous conditions, I would have doubtlessly participated in the same wanton conduct as did Juliet.
The friar gives Juliet a potion that will make her sleep deeply for forty two hours and appear as if dead. There are a few reasons why I think Juliet trusted the friar and risked her life by taking the potion. One reason is because she needed a way out of her forced marriage to Paris. First off she is already married. She doesn’t want to betray Romeo by marrying another man. Though Romeo has been exiled from Verona, Juliet still loves him deeply. Another reason I think she does this is because she wants to be with Romeo. Friar Lawrence said that when Juliet woke up, Romeo would be there with him to take Juliet back to Mantua with him. All Juliet really cares about is her love for Romeo and being with him. With Romeo’s exile from Verona, being together wasn’t possible. Taking the potion would mean they could be together. I actually think that Juliet had another option. Lord and Lady Capulet had said that if Juliet didn’t marry Paris, they would throw her out into the streets to live alone, and they would have nothing to do with her ever again. Though this is not what Juliet wanted, why didn’t she just refuse doing? She would have been kicked out and been able to go to Mantua to be with Romeo. Leaving Verona and your parents behind to be with Romeo I think is just as bad as feigning your death, leaving your parents in sorrow and loss. Though I can see why she would choose the latter. By doing this Juliet would still be on good terms with her parents when she “died”, even though it was a lie. Personally, I don’t agree with what she did or what I just mentioned as another option. Though it would be rather tough and scary to do, I would tell my parents that I was married already. This would have been the right thing for Juliet and Romeo to do. They were already married so their families would just have to deal with their child being married to the “enemy.”
Juliet knows full well that taking the potion is very risky. However, this is Juliet’s only other option except for marrying Paris. She just feels trapped and she would rather take the risk of the potion than get married to anyone other than Romeo. In her mind, taking the potion and hoping Romeo shows up is Juliet’s only option. Juliet would rather be dead than forced into her arranged marriage. I also think that Juliet realizes the friar is an overall nice guy that just wants to help her. She knows he would never do anything to hurt her on purpose. By this point she has no other choice but to put all her trust in the friar. After all, he is one of the only people that know about her marriage to Romeo, and if she can’t trust him now, how can she trust him with the secret of her relationship?
If I were in Juliet’s shoes, I don’t think I would have taken the potion. It is just too risky for me and I think the situation would have straightened out eventually. The plan just seems too flawed. I would definitely consider taking it, but in the end, I know my conservative side would win out over the friar’s radical plan.
RE: 12prattr
I partially agree with Becca. I agree that she took the potion because she would rather die then be without Romeo and with Paris. However, I disagree that she trusted he would not purposely give her a poison to kill her. I think that she trusted him to not mess up on the potion. Other than that, I agree that she definitely abhorred the idea of getting married to Paris and being unfaithful to Romeo. To Juliet, their love was very real and I believe it could never be broken, not even by death.
In the events leading up to Juliet’s drinking of the sleeping potion, Juliet went through a series of incredibly traumatic events. She was reprimanded by her parents for not reconciling with the idea of marrying County Paris. After this, she ran to Friar Lawrence and asked for help, and he gave her the sleeping potion. Taking this potion obviously had many contingencies, but Juliet decided to drink it anyway. Why did she take such a risk? In my opinion, it was because of three main things: fear of marrying Paris, a desire to leave her argumentative and stubborn parents, and a longing to be with her Romeo. Her adamancy to not marry Paris was very evident, based on her strong negative reaction toward the idea when it was given by her mom. She would rather marry Romeo (who she told Lady Capulet that she hated) than Paris. To escape this, Juliet took the potion and followed through with the Friar’s plan. I also believe that Juliet took the potion in order to escape the admonishment of both Lord and Lady Capulet. Although it doesn’t directly state this in the book, I believe that Juliet wanted to get away from her parents and their desires which conflicted with her desires to be with Romeo. I can relate to this type of behavior. When my parents argue with me and they want me to do something that I don’t want to do, I just want to put myself as far away from them as possible. I believe that Juliet reacted somewhat in this manner by taking the Friar’s potion. Finally, I believe that Juliet’s desperation to be with Romeo caused her to take the poem. The Friar offered Juliet a way to be with her true love, and Juliet’s acting on her love impulse resulted in her taking the potion. These are the three main reasons why I believe Juliet took the sleeping potion and followed through with the plan.
I doubt that Juliet really had any other feasible options. If she were to confess everything pertaining to her love for Romeo to her parents, it would cause many more problems to occur and a lot of tension would arise. Also, if she were to leave by herself and find Romeo, her parents would eventually realize that she is missing, or someone might see Juliet and reveal her to her parents. I believe that the Friar’s plan is probably the most practical option. However, that does not mean that it is the “right” option. If I were unfortunately placed in Juliet’s position, I probably would follow through with the Friar’s idea as well. To me, if this idea would have worked out perfectly, then this would be the safest plan to have me end up with the one I loved. If I was like Juliet and I wanted to be with Romeo with all my heart, then I would definitely enact this plan.
I think that Juliet trusts the friar’s plan because she feels so desperate at that point. Juliet hasn’t come up with any other options that she could take. Her only other option to avoid marrying Paris would be to escape from her home and flee to Mantua where Romeo has settled. She would have the option to take this route, but it probably would work. Her parents would find out she has gone astray and send people to find her. Juliet Loves Romeo so much that she believes it is worth taking the risk of drinking the potion. If she were to die from the potion I’m sure she would happier than if she refused it and ended up marrying Paris.
I feel Juliet did the right thing. I would have done the same myself. If it meant I had to live with someone for the rest of my life whom I didn’t desire, the risk would be all worth it. I don’t know as if I would rather die because today nobody could force me to marry someone that I didn’t want to. In her time though, her parents would have forced her to marry the man of their choice.
I think Juliet took the potion because it was the first option that was presented to her that would help her avoid marrying Paris. I think Juliet would have done anything in order to escape marrying Paris because it meant that she could be with Romeo. Juliet seemed to trust the friar so she didn’t even second guess the potion and what it would do. Juliet didn’t have any other options and she didn’t have much time to find anything else that would work.
I don’t think that I would take the potion because I don’t normally make big decisions without thinking it through first. I would probably look for other options, but if I couldn’t find anything else I would probably use the potion as a last resort.
The Friar thinks that he can fix the mess that is happening by giving Juliet a potion that will make her sleep, but will also make her appear to be dead. It is risky but she still takes the potion in hopes to be reunited with her husband Romeo. She takes the risk because she threatened to commit suicide anyways. She feels that if she can’t be with Romeo, and has to marry Paris her life isn’t worth living. She either has to take the potion or marry Paris. There isn’t really any other options. If I was Juliet I would also take the potion. Juliet was obviously deeply in love with Romeo, and if I was in her place I would want to do everything I could to find a way to be with him.
Juliet’s decision to drink the potion is very serious and smart in my opinion. Juliet does this to avoid her marriage with Paris and I think it’s a clever idea. If the whole plan would’ve worked out, this whole shindig would’ve been her essential life saver. Without it, Juliet could be living a regretful life with a man whom she didn’t love. I’m sure that everyday she would’ve regretted not trying to escape the marriage. The only other option Juliet could’ve turned to is running away possibly. If she did decide to do this, she might’ve gotten caught, or even worse discovered by someone. If I were Juliet, I think I would have done the same thing. If I came to a friar for advice and he offered me that potion, I’m sure I’d think the same way as Juliet. It seems like a well thought out plan and when you’re in love, you do crazy things for your lover.
Juliet is desperate to do anything but marry Paris. She really does not want to jeopardize her marriage with Romeo by marring Paris. She goes to the Friar and says that she would rather die that marry Paris. The Friar comes up with a scheme in which Juliet would take a potion that would make her sleep for forty-two hours, then when she wakes up Romeo would be there to take her away. Juliet knows that if takes the concoction that there are many things that can go wrong. She could never wake up or she could wake up in the tomb with all of the dead Capulet bodies. Juliet would rather die than marry Paris, so she decides to take her chances. Juliet did have other options. She could have run away to Romeo or she could probably find another place to temporarily live to give herself time to come up with a different plan. She also could have done something entirely different and told her parents that she had already married Romeo. If I were Juliet I would have done the same thing. Her parents do not know her and do not what is best for her. I would never marry someone that I did not love and I would take any chances to so that I would not have to. I would much rather die than marry someone that my parents thought was good for me. Unfortunately things do not work out as planned for Juliet, but I would have done the same thing.
Juliet is desperate to do anything but marry Paris. She really does not want to jeopardize her marriage with Romeo by marring Paris. She goes to the Friar and says that she would rather die that marry Paris. The Friar comes up with a scheme in which Juliet would take a potion that would make her sleep for forty-two hours, then when she wakes up Romeo would be there to take her away. Juliet knows that if takes the concoction that there are many things that can go wrong. She could never wake up or she could wake up in the tomb with all of the dead Capulet bodies. Juliet would rather die than marry Paris, so she decides to take her chances. Juliet did have other options. She could have run away to Romeo or she could probably find another place to temporarily live to give herself time to come up with a different plan. She also could have done something entirely different and told her parents that she had already married Romeo. If I were Juliet I would have done the same thing. Her parents do not know her and do not what is best for her. I would never marry someone that I did not love and I would take any chances to so that I would not have to. I would much rather die than marry someone that my parents thought was good for me. Unfortunately things do not work out as planned for Juliet, but I would have done the same thing.
Juliet's decision to trust the friar and take the potion is very unwise. I also think that the friar is irresponsible to suggest to her to take the potion. There were many risks to plan, such as her dieing which happened. Juliet taking the potion is what ultimatley was the cause of her and Romeo's death. I think that Juliet trusts Friar Lawrence because she believes it will work and is too foolish to realize the risks. She also did not think through the decision at all. Juliet is very desperate at this point and when the friar suggests that she takes the potion she does think twice about it. Juliet has very few other options right now. She can just marry Paris, she can runaway to find Romeo in Mantua, or she can tell her parents about her marriage to Romeo. If I were Juliet I think I would have to tell my parents about my marriage and hope that they are understanding. If they do not accept me for who I love then I do not want to be around them.
Juliet is addicted to her love for Romeo the same way someone is addicted to drugs. Desperate for her love, Juliet will endure any difficulty—in this case drinking a potion from an elderly friar—to satisfy her addiction, just as someone may ingest potentially fatal drugs from mysterious street vendors to satisfy their addictions. Juliet—through substantial willpower—can overcome this addiction; however, like drug addicts, she will suffer painful withdrawals from her disconnection from Romeo. If God had animated me in the form of Juliet, I would not drink the friar’s potion. Any relationship that hinges upon the consumption of tonics brewed by geriatric friars, inherently, is doomed to fail. Quite frankly, it’s not worth the trouble.
Juliet puts all of her trust into the friar in order to stay faithful to Romeo. She loves Romeo so much that she would literally do anything, even something irrational, for him. She doesn’t want to marry Paris because she is Romeo’s wife and doesn’t want to be disloyal. I believe she take this risky potion that the friar gives her because she really wants to see Romeo again and be his other half. I feel she trusts him because he is in a holy position, and everyone respects friars. On page 110 she is talking to the friar right before he gives her the potion. She said, “And I will do it without fear or doubt, To live an unstained wife to my sweet love.”That line states that without fright or uncertainty she wants to live as a loyal wife for Romeo, no matter what it takes. I feel the only thing that persuades her to do this is her love for Romeo. On page 116, she is talking to herself in her room before she drinks the potion. She ends up talking herself into drinking it, but only because of Romeo and her love for him. The last lines she says is, “Romeo, Romeo, Romeo, I drink to thee.” He is what empowered her to make such a decision. Her love for him is what caused her to make such a risky decision.
If I were Juliet I would have done the same to be able to be with the person I was forbid to love. She had to drink the potion, so her parents wouldn’t disown her when she didn’t marry Paris. I think she should have talked with her parents about the situation, but that may have made them more furious. Therefore, I would have done the same thing. If my parents were very angry with me and forced me to do something out of their love for me, I would drink a potion a church official gave me in order to be with the man I loved. Some people may say this is an insane thing she did because she might have not woken up, but love makes you choose some extreme decisions.
Faking her own death is a great option for Juliet. Since she's already ready to just die to avoid what's coming, she might as well go for a crazy chance to have everything work out again, an all or nothing option. I think since the friar was kind to them before, marrying them, and keeping them safe, it's not surprising that she trusts him now. The friar realizes that any plan to save Juliet's life and avoid any more unnecessary loss of life is worth the risk. If I were Juliet I would definitely go for this option, if it worked, all problems are solved I can live on happily. And if it doesn't work, I just die anyway.
The way Juliet views this siuation is that she has no other options at this point. If she runs, her parents will find her and if she marries Paris she will not see Romeo anymore. The frair is a man of faith, so Juliet put her trust in him. He helped them when they wanted to be married, helped Romeo escape to Mantua after seeing Juliet one last time, and now he is helping her. If I were Juliet I would probably do the same thing that she did. I would not want to run away never seeing my family again and I would not want to kill myself. The potion would to me feel as if it was my only option in that situation.
I think that Juliet decides to take the potion that the friar gives her because whether she dies or is just put into a deep sleep, it is a way to get out of marrying Paris. If the option did work, it was the perfect way to be with Romeo for the rest of her life. She had other options, like running away, just marrying him, ect. If I were Juliet, I don’t think I would’ve taken the potion. If I were Juliet in this situation, I probably would’ve just run away to Mantua. I would have done that because if I pretend I’m dead, there is no possible way I could ever return home if things didn’t work out. However, if I run away, I can always go home and try and fix things with my parents.
Juliet placed a grave amount of trust in the Friar by drinking the potion he gave her. He told her it would be the perfect escape for the plan, but how does she know it couldn't be fatal and actually take her life rather than be an act? She had to take the risk though due to the fact she has no other options that result in her wanted outcome. She could decide not to take the risk, never see Romeo again, and marry Paris, or she could take the risk and have a good chance of escaping and running away with Romeo. Its not a surprise which path she chose. If I was in Juliet's shoes, I'd probably do the same thing with the given situation. She really didn't have any reason not to trust the Friar. He was the one who helped Juliet and Romeo stay together. There's a posibility that the motives behind the Frair's actions could vary, but he never showed any cruel characteristics towards Juliet nor Romeo foreshadowing him inflicting harm against either.
Post a Comment