Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Romeo and Juliet Act IV: question 2

2. Describe the way the Capulets react to finding Juliet's "dead" body. After the way they previously treated her, do you think they are genuinely upset? What would Juliet say to them if she could hear them?  Due Friday, 3/5/2010 by midnight.

9 comments:

Carlyn Duran said...

I think that they genuinely love her. They acted like any normal parent would act to if they found this child dead. And you also have to put it into perspective that she was the only one the parents had left of their children. Anyone who had been through all that would be completely devastated to find out that their last child was dead. And to put matters worse she “died” on her wedding day. If I had gone through what her parents had gone through with her, I do not know what I would do with myself! The way that her parents had treated her after Tybalt had died. I think was really harsh on their part. If they put themselves in her shoes, I don’t think that they would want to be forced into marriage with someone, and nonetheless right after a family member had died. After the fact that my dad said he would disown me if I did not get married, I would feel that my parents don’t genuinely love me. I understand that parents want to do what they think is best for their children, but I think that they should have considered her opinion in the decision. I almost think that if they had taken her opinion into consideration she would have not went and got the potion to make herself appear dead. She would be upset that she couldn’t see Romeo, but there would not have been a reason that she would have to that to herself in order to see him. I honestly think that her parents cared and loved her with all their hearts even though that they did not show it like regular parents would do nowadays. I think that Juliet would be in complete and udder shock to see how her parents reacted to this whole situation. Before she had done all this, I would imagine that she thought her parents did not love her as the show of affection was not there. Also at the same time I think she can see her parents reacting drastically. Her love for Romeo was very strong. Juliet seems very impulsive, so I don’t think that she actually thought about what this would do to the people around her in her life. I think that Juliet would ask them why they pushed her so much into marriage with someone she did not want to marry, and why they didn’t show their affection for her.

Anonymous said...

The Capulets react to Juliet’s dying by expressing their sorrow for her death. I do not believe that they are entirely regretful of her death. For parents, a loss of a child should be devastating beyond words. They should not be able to immediately find their voices in their shock and remark on their feelings in the situation. Also, in the movie, it is obvious that Juliet’s mother is not very involved in the death of her daughter. As she comes up to put the flower in Juliet’s hands she does not express any emotion, when it would be normal for a parent to be crying or at least to look sad. The responses of the Capulets are very moderate compared to the emotion you would expect from parents.
I think that their dispassionate response is due to several facts regarding the character of the parents of Juliet. For example, they wanted Juliet to marry as soon as possible, against her will. It is my thought that they do this simply because they want to continue the Capulet blood line on further than the Montague blood line. They are not really sad for Juliet, but for the opportunities she has cost them. They may even be angry because it has cost them so much time and exertion that they could have used on other things. Her dying ultimately ruined their plans. She never even was able to marry, like they intended her to. In addition, they are sad because Romeo is still alive which means the Montague blood line will continue on when theirs has to end. Overall, Juliet’s parents may have been affected by her death, but other motives may have caused their response to her loss.
I think that if Juliet would have heard them, she would have felt a sense of triumph. She has been threatened and ordered around by these people for her entire life, when they make some of the same mistakes and have the same faults that she does. She would laugh at their sorrow, finally seeing that the shadow she has flinched under for so long actually contains several weaknesses. I think that Juliet might also have been sad if she had seen their reaction because they were somewhat apathetic about her death. She might see how they care about what will happen afterwards, rather than her demise. Since Juliet is particularly emotional, this would unquestionably set her off in a period of crying. Although the Capulets express grief and sorrow at the death of Juliet, I do not think that even then, their daughter was their sole priority.

Jeremy Brinling said...

Death, it affects us all in some way. Most of the time it brings sadness and thoughts about the person that passed away. If any close family member of yours has passed away you know that it is a tough time to go through. What if that person that was close to you was your daughter or son? No matter how upset you could be at a child, he/she is still yours and you show unconditional love toward them because of that. The Capulets are no different in this situation.
Let me give you a situation to relate somewhat to. Let's say you had a pet that had used the restroom in the house and you were the person that had to clean it all up. If that same pet passed away moments later in some unrelated accident would you still be upset at them?
The Capulets are genuinely upset at their child's death. They loved Juliet and she loved them even though they had a few disagreements. Juliet would be upset leaving their parents and I would hope she would say something along the lines of, "I love you both and this is not entirely your fault. I just want to be with my true love." This would stop the parents from worrying and allow Juliet know that she comforted her family. Just something as simple as that phrase would solve so many of the problems that arose.

Lauren Witowski said...

I think that the Capulets are very upset when they find Juliet's 'dead' body. Although they may have treated her harshly at times, they believed that her marriage to Paris would make her a good woman in society and life. They almost seemed genuinely proud of their daughter when they believed that she has finally come to see 'what was best for herself' and made the decision to proceed with her marriage to Paris.

I think that if Juliet could speak to her parents, she would declare her love for Romeo, and desperately try to get them to understand her love for a Montague. I think that she would apologize for the grief she has caused them, but wouldn't be sorry because she had planned to spend the rest of her life with Romeo.

Christine Wilson said...

When the Capulet's find their daughter dead they were really upset just like any other parent would be. I find Lady Capulet’s reaction surprising because I know Juliet is her only daughter, but before she didn’t really seem to care about her. Like at the beginning of the play she had to confirm with the nurse Juliet’s age. Also when Juliet falls in love with Romeo she tells the nurse not her mother. Lady Capulet says, ’O me, O me! My child, my only life!” Lady Capulet makes it sound like Juliet was the only person in her life that made her happy. Lord Capulet says basically the same thing, but this didn’t surprise me as much as Lady Capulet’s response. In this scene everyone is upset for Juliet’s death, even Paris. Paris didn’t even know Juliet that well but he still weeps over her death anyway.
I think that at first when the Capulet's found Juliet dead they were genuinely upset. But when the find out that she was actually alive and still died they didn’t really seem that sad. I know if I pretended to die and killed myself later my parents would be even more upset than before. They would be even more sad because they probably could have stopped her from dying if they had known. I think that if Juliet was hearing what they said she would have been glad that they cried over her dying the first time. If she had heard them the second after her real death she would have been a little mad because they weren’t as genuinely upset.

Brian Sundberg said...

I think that the Capulet’s are genuinely upset. If you have ever found that your daughter had died, no matter how mad you are at her, you will be upset and distraught. It was the heat of the moment and the Capulet’s did not mean anything that they had said. They loved Juliet and were looking out for her best interests.

The Capulet’s reacted to her death like any other parent would. They were upset and had a funeral and placed her in the family fault. Although, in the book it made it sound like not a lot of crying happened. The reason I think this happened is because they were just in utter shock and they didn’t know how to act. She was their only child and they didn’t want to see her die at such a young age.

Although, the Capulet’s did truly love Juliet the way they acted toward her did not let Juliet believe that they did. Juliet might have been thinking that they might have been happy that she was gone because she was seen as a disappointment. If Juliet could say one last thing to her parents it would be that you should have accepted me for who I am and respect the decisions that I make. Although, the Capulet’s don’t show it verbally or emotionally they really do love Juliet and wish that nothing happens to her.

Unknown said...

The angry blow out with Juliet, now coupled with the shock of her sudden "death" has made the Capulets come to the realization that they regret all the harsh words said after Juliet's rejection of Paris. In the heat of the moment, anything can be said, and completely exaggerated. Lord Capulet is a strong willed yet emotional man, and while he can't contain his rage toward Juliet's betrayal, he also cannot keep his sorrow internal. Capulet is the type of man who feels the need to share all his emotions with the world, so he of course expressed his grief right away. I believe his feelings are genuine, and that others don't except that easily because his style of grieving is so open. If there is a loss in a family, you will notice that people all take the death disparately, choosing to grief publicly or privately. Lady Capulet is more reserved, most likely because she doesn't feel the loos as much as Capulet; hers and Juliet's relationship had always been strained, and her alliance to her daughter had never really been there to begin with. I believe Juliet would have cried and believed their words of sorrow had she been able to hear their reactions. My impression of Juliet is that she is young and naive, and yearns for her parents approval, which is one of the major reasons why hers and Romeo's marriage was still a secret. Juliet would forgive them of their bitter words, and express her love to try and settle the long standing feud, and have their acceptance.

Mr. Nerthling said...

Personally, I don't believe that the Capulet parents felt much remorse about Juliet, but only in privacy. While the Nurse and other servants were around, the parents made sure everybody knew they were sad. Sure, they might have been sad, but for the wrong reasons. They didn't seem sad that Juliet had lost her life, but more like they lost a possession. Remember, Juliet was the last remaining Capulet heiress, so the Capulets won't be able to pass on their name or fortune. The only person who seemed to care about Juliets death was the Nurse. If Juliet was awake then, I beleieve that she would think that her parents were shallow and two faced, but wouldn't have said it aloud.

Aidan Murphey said...

Personally, I think this is an easily answered question. Ask any parent; no matter what their children do or what they say, they will still love them. This is something called unconditional love, and it occurs in very few places, including the bond between parent and child. Lord Capulet may still be reeling from his fight with Juliet, and Lady Capulet may seem cold and uncaring towards her daughter, but they are still clearly upset. Shakespeare has a way of conveying emotion simply through text, and it seems that he is trying to show the audience the grief caused by Juliet’s death. If Juliet could hear her parents, I think she would say something along the lines of, “Hey, if you’re so sad, why didn’t you treat better when I was alive?” This would not be an unreasonable question to ask, as the Capulets treated Juliet horribly during what they now believe to be the last few days of her life.